El Clasico to Hold Minute's Silence for Air Crash Victims
Saturday's blockbuster La Liga clash between Barcelona and Real Madrid will be preceded by a minute's silence for the 71 people killed in the plane crash.
File Image of El Classico. (Getty Images)
Madrid: Saturday's blockbuster La Liga clash between Barcelona and Real Madrid will be preceded by a minute's silence for the 71 people killed in a plane crash that decimated the Brazilian football team Chapecoense.
"Every day and every weekend there are hundreds of thousands of players travelling in cars, buses, trains and planes... they are always exposed to this risk of accidents," said La Liga president Javier Tebas on Wednesday.
"We want to recognise, remember and offer our condolences to the families."
A minute's silence will also be held before all matches in the Copa del Rey across Spain on Wednesday and Thursday.
Madrid, Barca and Atletico Madrid were among a host of Spanish clubs to express shock and sadness at the plane crash in Colombia on Tuesday.
Former Atletico midfielder Cleber Santana was one of those killed as the plane went down just before reaching its destination in Medellin, where Chapecoense were to play in a Copa Sudamericana final.
Three Chapecoense players were among six survivors rescued from the wreckage.
Recommended For You
- Gautam Gambhir Backed me When I Was Nobody: Kuldeep Yadav
- Salman Khan Recreates Judwaa Magic With Jacqueline Fernandez
- UM Commando Classic and Mojave First Ride Review: Royal Enfield Rival, Finally?
- MS Dhoni Must Credit Kohli For Resurgence, Says Sourav Ganguly
- Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Kiku Sharda Talk About The Kapil Sharma Show