Elena Vesnina Shocks World No. 1 Angelique Kerber at Indian Wells
Elena Vesnina. (Getty Images)
Indian Wells: Angelique Kerber won't celebrate her return to world number one with an Indian Wells title after a shock fourth-round exit Tuesday at the hands of Elena Vesnina.
Russia's 14th-seeded Vesnina toppled the second-seeded German 6-3, 6-3 to book a quarter-final meeting with seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams, a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 winner over Chinese qualifier Peng Shuai.
Kerber, the 2016 Australian Open and US Open champion, is still assured of returning to number one in the world next Monday thanks to Serena Williams's injury withdrawal from Indian Wells.
Recommended For You
- New Chevrolet Beat to Launch in India on May 25
- Salman Khan's Tubelight Might Not Release on Eid in Pakistan
- IPL 2017: Dravid Backs 'Skipper' Karun After Crushing KXIP Defeat
- IPL 2017: David Warner Ton Sets Up Big SRH Win Over KKR
- Priyanka to Rajkummar: Bollywood Actors Who've Mastered Roles in Disguise