Elena Vesnina Shocks World No. 1 Angelique Kerber at Indian Wells
Angelique Kerber won't celebrate her return to world number one with an Indian Wells title after a shock fourth-round exit Tuesday at the hands of Elena Vesnina.
Elena Vesnina. (Getty Images)
Indian Wells: Angelique Kerber won't celebrate her return to world number one with an Indian Wells title after a shock fourth-round exit Tuesday at the hands of Elena Vesnina.
Russia's 14th-seeded Vesnina toppled the second-seeded German 6-3, 6-3 to book a quarter-final meeting with seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams, a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 winner over Chinese qualifier Peng Shuai.
Kerber, the 2016 Australian Open and US Open champion, is still assured of returning to number one in the world next Monday thanks to Serena Williams's injury withdrawal from Indian Wells.
Recommended For You
- Live Cricket Score, New Zealand vs Pakistan, 4th ODI at Hamilton
- Shaitan Haveli Review: Amazon Prime's A-Grade Tribute to B-Grade Horror
- Amazon Great Indian Sale: Top Upcoming Deals on Smartphones, Electronics, Games And More
- Delhi to Agra Weekend Getaway in BMW 3-Series - Yamuna Expressway vs NH2
- Deepika Padukone, Kangana Ranaut Look Spectacular In Sabyasachi Sarees; See Pics