Elena Vesnina Shocks World No. 1 Angelique Kerber at Indian Wells
Elena Vesnina. (Getty Images)
Indian Wells: Angelique Kerber won't celebrate her return to world number one with an Indian Wells title after a shock fourth-round exit Tuesday at the hands of Elena Vesnina.
Russia's 14th-seeded Vesnina toppled the second-seeded German 6-3, 6-3 to book a quarter-final meeting with seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams, a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 winner over Chinese qualifier Peng Shuai.
Kerber, the 2016 Australian Open and US Open champion, is still assured of returning to number one in the world next Monday thanks to Serena Williams's injury withdrawal from Indian Wells.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 Launched at a Starting Price of Rs 32,999
- Isuzu D-Max V-Cross Test Drive Review - Lone Survivor
- Pak Cricket Fan Trolled For Comparing SRK's Popularity with Sarfraz Ahmed
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From In the Name of God by Ravi Subramanian
- Shastri to BCCI: Won't Stand In Queue, Want Guarantee On Coach's Job