Elena Vesnina Shocks World No. 1 Angelique Kerber at Indian Wells
Angelique Kerber won't celebrate her return to world number one with an Indian Wells title after a shock fourth-round exit Tuesday at the hands of Elena Vesnina.
Elena Vesnina. (Getty Images)
Indian Wells: Angelique Kerber won't celebrate her return to world number one with an Indian Wells title after a shock fourth-round exit Tuesday at the hands of Elena Vesnina.
Russia's 14th-seeded Vesnina toppled the second-seeded German 6-3, 6-3 to book a quarter-final meeting with seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams, a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 winner over Chinese qualifier Peng Shuai.
Kerber, the 2016 Australian Open and US Open champion, is still assured of returning to number one in the world next Monday thanks to Serena Williams's injury withdrawal from Indian Wells.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli, MS Dhoni Fight It Out on Football Field
- Infosys Regrets Vishal Sikka’s Resignation; Issues Statement on His Current Role, Salary
- Top 5 Affordable Diesel Cars in India - Tata Tiago, Hyundai Grand i10 and more
- LFW 2017: Of Gaurang Shah's Nine-yard Canvas and Indian Weaves
- Industry Experts to Discuss Impact of Demonetisation, GST, RERA at Global Indian Realty Summit