Elena Vesnina Shocks World No. 1 Angelique Kerber at Indian Wells
Angelique Kerber won't celebrate her return to world number one with an Indian Wells title after a shock fourth-round exit Tuesday at the hands of Elena Vesnina.
Elena Vesnina. (Getty Images)
Indian Wells: Angelique Kerber won't celebrate her return to world number one with an Indian Wells title after a shock fourth-round exit Tuesday at the hands of Elena Vesnina.
Russia's 14th-seeded Vesnina toppled the second-seeded German 6-3, 6-3 to book a quarter-final meeting with seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams, a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 winner over Chinese qualifier Peng Shuai.
Kerber, the 2016 Australian Open and US Open champion, is still assured of returning to number one in the world next Monday thanks to Serena Williams's injury withdrawal from Indian Wells.
Recommended For You
- Ronaldo Eyes More FIFA Success as Real Madrid Dominate Awards
- Five Vacations You Can Take Before 2017 Ends
- Sehwag Calls Taylor a 'Darji', His Response Will Leave You in Splits
- WhatsApp Live Location: Say Hi to This New Feature to Sour Your Relationships
- India vs New Zealand: Virat Kohli 'Bows' Before Bhuvneshwar Kumar