Formula One: Red Flags to Replace Yellow in Qualifying
Image Credit: Getty Images.
Red flags will replace waved double yellows in the event of hazardous incidents in qualifying, Formula One's race director Charlie Whiting said on Friday.
Whiting made this newly-revised position clear following last weekend's controversy surrounding Nico Rosberg's pole position lap at the Hungarian Grand Prix.
The German drove through a waved double yellow zone and only slowed by one-tenth of a second.
The decision means that all drivers on track at the time of an incident that led to a red flag would have to stop.
"That's what I intend to do in the future, just to remove any discussion about whether a driver slowed down or not," Whiting told reporters at the German Grand Prix.
"I think most drivers decided to call it a day and stop their attempt at qualifying," he added, referring to the incident at the Hungaroring last Saturday.
"But in Nico's defence, he had only one yellow sector to go through, and that was a short one -- whereas the other drivers had two yellow sectors to go through.
"So there is a difference. I just don't want to get into these discussions where you need to try and decide whether a driver has slowed down enough.
"If you apply the double waved yellow flag rule absolutely to the letter it says you must be prepared to stop."
Stewards at the Hungarian Grand Prix sent the wrong message aby failing to penalise Rosberg, his Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton had claimed.
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Boris Johnson's Anti-Brexit Article Made Public by UK Daily
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Dear Zindagi Teaser is Out and We Can't Stop Smiling After Watching It
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18