Gerard Pique to End Spain Career After 2018 World Cup
Gerard Pique. (Picture Credit: Getty Images)
Madrid: Controversial Spanish defender Gerard Pique insisted Sunday that he will end his international career after the 2018 World Cup.
The Barcelona star has come under regular fire for his performances on the field and his support off the pitch for his pro-Catalan stance.
"The World Cup in Russia is going to be my last tournament with the national team and I hope to take a lot of pleasure from these last two years," he said after Sunday's 2-0 qualifying win against Albania.
"This is not a decision that I have taken today, I have been thinking about it. But the criticisms today have added to what has happened over the last few years. There are also people who believe that it's better that I am not here," added Pique who will be 31 when the 2018 World Cup takes place.
Pique, who has often been jeered by Spanish fans, played in the Spain team which won the 2010 World Cup and 2012 European championships.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Watch How Samson & Mishra Cost Delhi the Match
- Sonam Posts Emotional Message On Her Maternal Grandmother's Demise
- OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Review: The Best Black Phone That Money Can Buy
- IPL 2017: Nothing Royal And Far From Being Challengers
- Azlan Shah 2017: India Aim to Begin New Season on a High