Hamilton Edges Rosberg in Baku Practice, Ricciardo Crashes
File image of Lewis Hamilton. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Baku: Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton set the fastest pace in Friday's opening practice at the European Grand Prix, ahead of teammate and Formula One championship leader Nico Rosberg.
A number of drivers ran off track on a bumpy, windy and dusty Baku street circuit, with Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo snapping off the right rear wheel in a collision with a barrier which brought out the red flag.
Hamilton had a less serious brush with a wall but was still a third of a second ahead of Rosberg, with Valtteri Bottas third fastest, thriving on the 2.1-kilometer (1.3-mile) main straight as he got his Williams up to 351 kph (218 mph).
McLaren's Fernando Alonso was an impressive fourth fastest, ahead of Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel, 2.2 seconds off Hamilton's time.
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Donald Trump Vows to Sue Sexual Misconduct Accusers
- Adult Film Star Jessica Drake Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Donald Trump Announces 100-Day Presidency Plan
- Donald Trump's Daughter, Ivanka, to Celebrate Diwali at Hindu Temple