Hong Kong Open Super Series: Fit-again Saina Nehwal Notches First Win Post Surgery
Saina Nehwal. (Getty Images)
Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal is on a comeback trail after undergoing surgery post the 2016 Rio Olympics and she notched up her first win after making a comeback to the international circuit when she defeated Thailand's Porntip Buranaprasertsuk 12-21, 21-19, 21-17 to reach the second round of the Hong Kong Open Super Series on Wednesday.
Saina defeated her Thailand counterpart in a tight three-game affair which lasted for 55 minutes.
It was also a case of sweet revenge for Saina, who was beaten by Buranaprasertsuk in the first round of the China Super Series Premier earlier this month in what was her comeback match post knee surgery.
Even after that loss Saina had said that she was satisfied with her performance as she had given a tough fight to a top shuttler like Buranaprasertsuk.
Saina continues to be ranked 6th in the world despite her two and half month injury lay-off after the Olympics.
She is the highest ranked Indian and is fighting to stay in contention for the year ending BWF Super Series Finals, which has the world’s top 8 players fighting it out for top honours.
Recommended For You
- Porter's Son Thangarasu Natarajan: From Tennis Ball Star to IPL Big Bucks
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)
- Kangana, Shahid Promote Rangoon on TKSS: 5 Laugh Out Loud Moments
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- IPL 2017: Hyderabad Pacer Siraj Says "Want to Take Virat Kohli's Wicket"