Inter's Icardi Lashes out at Diego Maradona for Comment on Affair
File Image of Diego Maradona. (Getty Images)
Milan: Italian Serie A giants Inter Milan and Argentina striker Mauro Icardi has lashed out at country's football icon Diego Maradona for chastising him as he had an affair with the wife of former team-mate Maxi.
Back in 2013, Icardi had a relationship with Wanda Nara, who was married to his then Sampdoria teammate Lopez and then later went on to have a child together and get married.
Maradona labelled Icardi a ‘traitor' when speaking at a press conference to promote the Match for Peace organised by the Vatican.
"I don't know if Icardi will be called-up for the national team," Maradona told reporters on Monday.
"I don't speak about traitors. I'm here for the Match for Peace and Icardi has nothing to do with it."
Icardi said the comments were ‘tasteless' and that the Argentina legend was not an example to anyone off the pitch.
Speaking to Sky Sport Italia, Icardi said: ‘He was a great player, but outside of football I can't respond to anything.
"I think he's come across badly as he did last year, and an interview like that has nothing to do with peace.
"These are tasteless words, it already happened in the friendly match Javier Zanetti organised. I can't say anything about someone who isn't an example for anyone."
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Tale of Two Sessions That Cost Hosts the Pune Test
- Ranveer Singh Is Exactly Who He is Dressing As, Says His Stylist
- Watch: How VJ Bani Debunks Stereotypes With Her Heavy Weight Training
- Ryan Gosling's Reaction To Oscars 2017 Best Picture Mix Up Is Priceless
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone