Jelena Ostapenko 'Amazed' by French Open Triumph
Jelena Ostapenko said she was amazed to be the first unseeded player since 1933 to capture the French Open on Saturday in a stunning and fearless 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 win over Simona Halep.
Paris: Jelena Ostapenko said she was amazed to be the first unseeded player since 1933 to capture the French Open on Saturday in a stunning and fearless 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 win over Simona Halep.
"I can't believe I am the French Open champion at just 20. It's amazing," said Ostapenko, the first Latvian to claim a Grand Slam crown.
It was also her first career title in just her eighth Slam appearance and will see her world ranking rocket to 12 from 47.
Ostapenko fired 54 winners and 54 unforced errors compared to Halep's eight and 10.
"I knew about the history," added Ostapenko.
"I knew that Gustavo Kuerten also won his first title here also in 1997 (the year she was born)."
"There are no words. It's just amazing. It was my dream as a child to win Roland Garros."
She was 3-1 down in the second and third sets but kept coming back with her no-fear hitting.
"I just had to stay aggressive and play my game because Simona is such a great player."
Halep, the runner-up in 2014 also, hailed Ostapenko.
"I am upset but congratulations to Jelena, you are a great champion," said the Romanian.
"Enjoy it. I am a little sick in the stomach but I want to win it one day. It's my dream."
- Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety: Is The Misogyny Served Worth Your Money?
- Now Showing: Masand's Verdict On Welcome To New York, Sonu Ke Tittu Ki Sweety & Three Billboards
- Udaipur Music Festival: Music, As Explained By The Artistes From Across The Globe
- Maldives Emergency : India Appears to be Losing Ground to China in the Indian Ocean | World In Flux
Recommended For You
- 24th February 2010: Sachin Tendulkar Scores First-ever ODI Double Ton
- Watch Review: Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety: Is The Misogyny Served Worth Your Money?
- Just Relief and Joy, Says Eugenie Bouchard After Locker Room Case is Settled
- Munch on Strawberries to Pause Time and Undo Ageing
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra Ups the Glamour Quotient with an Interesting Take on Fashion; See Pics