Manuel Neuer Out For Season With Foot Fracture, Doubtful for Confed Cup
German national team and Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer. (Getty Images)
Berlin: Germany's goalkeeper Manuel Neuer is out for the rest of the season after fracturing his left foot in Bayern Munich's Champions League defeat at Real Madrid, his club announced on Wednesday.
The Bayern shot-stopper and Germany captain suffered the injury while trying unsuccessfully to stop Cristiano Ronaldo netting his third goal in the 109th minute at the Bernabeu as defending holders Real won 4-2 after extra-time on Tuesday.
"He's broken his foot," confirmed Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
Neuer played on despite the problem with Bayern down to ten men after Arturo Vidal was sent off and all three substitutes deployed.
Real won the quarter-final tie 6-3 on aggregate as Bayern failed to reach the semi-finals for the first time in six years.
Neuer, Germany's captain since Bastian Schweinsteiger retired after Euro 2016, has not played for die Mannschaft since last October and missed the last four games as head coach Joachim Loew blooded other goalkeepers.
Reserve goalkeeper Sven Ulreich is now expected to be between the sticks for Bayern's last five Bundesliga matches and next Wednesday's German Cup semi-final against Borussia Dortmund.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 vs OnePlus 3T vs OnePlus 3: What Difference to Expect?
- Hockey World League: India Thrash Pak 6-1, to Face Canada in 5th-6th Playoff
- Jaguar Teases E-pace, to Make Global Debut on July 13th
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From In the Name of God by Ravi Subramanian
- Watch: Tubelight Kid Matin Rey Tangu's Adorable Audition Footage