Nick Kyrgios Banned for Shanghai Tantrums
Nick Kyrgios. (Picture Credit: Getty Images)
Tennis 'bad boy' Nick Kyrgios has been banned for eight tournament weeks for his conduct during his defeat at the Shanghai Masters last week, the governing body for men's tennis (ATP) said on Monday.
"The suspension will be reduced to three tournament weeks upon agreement that the player enters a plan of care under the direction of a sports psychologist." the ATP said in a statement.
Kyrgios has also been slapped with an additional $25,000 fine for "conduct contrary to the integrity of the game", it added.
The talented yet temperamental Australian was beaten 6-3 6-1 by Mischa Zverev in a second-round match in which he put in a series of half-hearted serves and appeared to be walking off court before the unseeded German had returned the ball to him.
Kyrgios also clashed with a spectator before being booed off the court. He was fined $16,500 by the ATP on Thursday.
The 21-year-old released a statement on Monday apologising for his behaviour.
"Following the ATP's decision today I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the circumstances in Shanghai," he said.
"I do understand and respect the decision by the ATP and I will use this time off to improve on and off the court. I am truly sorry and look forward to returning in 2017."
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Heaviest Defeats for India at Home Since 1987
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology