Olivier Giroud's Scorpion Special Helps Arsenal Ease Past Palace
Olivier Giroud scored with a superb, improvised backheeled volley as Arsenal eased past struggling Crystal Palace with a 2-0 win that moved them into third spot in the Premier League on Sunday.
Arsenal's Olivier Giroud. (Reuters Images)
London: Olivier Giroud scored with a superb, improvised backheeled volley as Arsenal eased past struggling Crystal Palace with a 2-0 win that moved them into third spot in the Premier League on Sunday.
The France international produced a flying scorpion-like flick with his left heel to convert Alexis Sanchez's cross while tumbling forward following an Arsenal counter-attack, which helped build with another neat flick, in the 17th minute.
While Arsenal's first goal was a stunning piece of improvisation their second after 55 minutes was a messy affair with Alex Iwobi's looping header dropping in via Palace defender Joel Ward who failed to make a goalline clearance.
But Arsenal were dominant as they moved above Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur into third, nine points behind rampant leaders Chelsea and one ahead of Tottenham Hotspur, who beat Watford 4-1 away earlier on Sunday.
Recommended For You
- India Set to Play Sri Lanka Again; This Time in T20I Tri-Series With Bangladesh
- Kohli Second Indian Batsman to Reach 900 Points in ICC Rankings
- Sonam Kapoor Turns Heads As She Flaunts All-Pink Outfits With Aplomb; See Pics
- 'We Have Jobs To Do': Twitter Rejects Milind Soman's 7-Hour Marathon Proposal
- Suffering from Cold or Flu? Avoid these 5 Foods