Olympic Champions Yelena Vesnina, Yekaterina Makarova named Russian Tennis Duo of The Year
Moscow: Russia's Yelena Vesnina and Yekaterina Makarova have been named their country's tennis duo of the year.
This was announced at the 23rd ceremony to present the annual national tennis award Russian Cup for those contributing to the development of the sport in the country, reports Tass.
Makarova-Vesnina clinched gold in the women's doubles event at the Rio Olympics in August.
"This is a very special year for Russian tennis and for us," Vesnina said on Monday.
"The Olympic Games were top priority for us. We dreamed about them since childhood. It was the dream of our heart to win gold medals, and when this happened, it was a great joy."
"But this would not have happened without our background - our coaches, parents, the people who believed in us," she added.
"I hope we have inspired boys and girls. One must believe in his or her dream, not to abandon it but work a lot instead."
Recommended For You
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4: 2GB vs 3GB vs 4GB RAM, Which One Should You Buy?
- Australian Open 2017: Vintage Venus Powers Into Semi-Finals
- Rekha Sports Ripped Jeans, Breaks All Stereotypes In One Go
- Yamaha R15 v3.0 Revealed, India Launch Likely Later This Year
- Amazon Great Indian Sale Day 3: Deals on Moto X Force, Bose QuietComfort 25 And More