Olympic Champions Yelena Vesnina, Yekaterina Makarova named Russian Tennis Duo of The Year
Moscow: Russia's Yelena Vesnina and Yekaterina Makarova have been named their country's tennis duo of the year.
This was announced at the 23rd ceremony to present the annual national tennis award Russian Cup for those contributing to the development of the sport in the country, reports Tass.
Makarova-Vesnina clinched gold in the women's doubles event at the Rio Olympics in August.
"This is a very special year for Russian tennis and for us," Vesnina said on Monday.
"The Olympic Games were top priority for us. We dreamed about them since childhood. It was the dream of our heart to win gold medals, and when this happened, it was a great joy."
"But this would not have happened without our background - our coaches, parents, the people who believed in us," she added.
"I hope we have inspired boys and girls. One must believe in his or her dream, not to abandon it but work a lot instead."
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli & Co Smash World Record During Windies ODI
- Tubelight BO Collection: Salman's Film Mints Rs 66 cr on Day 3
- Team India Coach: Mahela Jayawardene Says He is Not In the Race
- Honor 8 Pro vs OnePlus 5: What Their Dual-Camera Will Offer
- 12 of Bollywood's Eid Releases That Created Box Office Records