Roger Federer sees off Alexandr Dolgopolov to reach third round at Australian Open
Image Credit: Getty Images.
Roger Federer overcame some feisty resistance from Alexandr Dolgopolov to safely advance to the third round of the Australian Open with a 6-3, 7-5, 6-1 victory on Wednesday.
The Swiss third seed had romped through the opening set of their second round clash on Rod Laver Arena in just 26 minutes before the 27-year-old Ukrainian started to assert pressure on Federer's serve in the second.
Federer held firm before applying some pressure of his own, eventually breaking the world number 35 in the 11th game before serving out the set in 45 minutes.
Dolgopolov's resolve faded away in the third, with Federer breaking his opponent's serve three times to clinch the contest in 93 minutes and maintain his quest for a fifth title in Melbourne.
- Clinton Campaign Ponders 'What If' Trump Doesn't Concede
- Facebook Employees Try to Remove Trump's Controversial Posts, Zuckerberg Calls it Inappropriate
- Hillary Clinton's Win Would Result in Spread of ISIS: Donald Trump
- Trump Gains on Clinton, Poll Shows 'Rigged' Message Resonates
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Indo-Pak matches filled with emotions, Says Pakistan Hockey Coach Khawaja Junaid
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
From Our Network
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18