Roger Federer sees off Alexandr Dolgopolov to reach third round at Australian Open
Federer overcame some feisty resistance from Dolgopolov to safely advance to the third round of the Australian Open with a 6-3, 7-5, 6-1 victory on Wednesday.
Image Credit: Getty Images.
Roger Federer overcame some feisty resistance from Alexandr Dolgopolov to safely advance to the third round of the Australian Open with a 6-3, 7-5, 6-1 victory on Wednesday.
The Swiss third seed had romped through the opening set of their second round clash on Rod Laver Arena in just 26 minutes before the 27-year-old Ukrainian started to assert pressure on Federer's serve in the second.
Federer held firm before applying some pressure of his own, eventually breaking the world number 35 in the 11th game before serving out the set in 45 minutes.
Dolgopolov's resolve faded away in the third, with Federer breaking his opponent's serve three times to clinch the contest in 93 minutes and maintain his quest for a fifth title in Melbourne.
Recommended For You
- Lakshya Sen, Teenage Badminton Sensation, Wins Bulgaria Open
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Catches Fire Again; User Injured in AP: Report
- Industry Experts to Discuss Impact of Demonetisation, GST, RERA at Global Indian Realty Summit
- It Takes 15 Minutes For Me To Return To Normalcy After a Show: Zakir Khan
- Hardik Pandya Gifts Father an SUV, Find Out Which One