Roger Federer sees off Alexandr Dolgopolov to reach third round at Australian Open
Image Credit: Getty Images.
Roger Federer overcame some feisty resistance from Alexandr Dolgopolov to safely advance to the third round of the Australian Open with a 6-3, 7-5, 6-1 victory on Wednesday.
The Swiss third seed had romped through the opening set of their second round clash on Rod Laver Arena in just 26 minutes before the 27-year-old Ukrainian started to assert pressure on Federer's serve in the second.
Federer held firm before applying some pressure of his own, eventually breaking the world number 35 in the 11th game before serving out the set in 45 minutes.
Dolgopolov's resolve faded away in the third, with Federer breaking his opponent's serve three times to clinch the contest in 93 minutes and maintain his quest for a fifth title in Melbourne.
Recommended For You
- Yuvraj Singh: The Phoenix Who Keeps Coming Back Again and Again
- Explore Delhi In A Day With Just Rs 500 In Your Pocket
- LFW 2017: Sneak Peek Into Monisha Jaising's Opening, Anita Dongre's Finale Show
- Amazon Removes Mahatma Gandhi Chappal Recalling Sushma Swaraj's Warning
- Sasikala No Replacement, Won't Last Long, Says Jayalalithaa's Biographer