Rome Masters: Zverev Outclasses Raonic to Enter Semis
Rising German star Alexander Zverev reached his first ATP Masters 1000 semi-final with a 7-6(4) 6-1 defeat of world number six Milos Raonic at the Italian Open on Friday.
Rome: Rising German star Alexander Zverev reached his first ATP Masters 1000 semi-final with a 7-6(4) 6-1 defeat of world number six Milos Raonic at the Italian Open on Friday.
Zverev, 20, will face John Isner for a place in the final after the American edged out Croatian Marin Cilic 7-6(3) 2-6 7-6(2).
"It's another stepping stone in my career," Zverev told the ATP's website. "I feel like I have played very well today. I returned very well.
"So I'm happy to be in the semis and playing John tomorrow, who I know very well from our Saddlebrook (Florida) days. It's going to be a great match."
In his first meeting with Raonic, Zverev twice let a break slip in the opening set, on the second occasion failing to serve out the set at 6-5. But in windy conditions he comfortably won the tiebreak and sped through the second set.
Isner served 21 aces on his way past Cilic as he became the first American to reach the semi-finals in Rome since Andy Roddick in 2008.
Recommended For You
- AB de Villiers Pips Kohli as Top ODI Batsman; Hasan Ali No. 1 Bowler
- These Adorable Pictures of Karan Johar's Kids Yash And Roohi Will Make Your Day
- AR Rahman Took Around 1,000 Auditions For Upcoming Film 99 Songs
- Diwali 2017: Gift Yourself A Healthier & Longer Life This Festive Season
- Secret Superstar review: Heartbreaking And Heartwarming In Equal Measure