Stan Wawrinka Joins Rafael Nadal in Brisbane International
Stan Wawrinka. (Picture Credit: Getty Images)
Brisbane: Swiss world No.3 Stan Wawrinka will use the Brisbane International as his warm-up event to the Australian Open in January, tournament organisers said on Monday.
The US Open champion will join 14-time Grand Slam winner Rafael Nadal and women's world No.1 Angelique Kerber at the year-opening tournament.
Wawrinka heads to Brisbane after beating Novak Djokovic for his third Grand Slam title in New York and reaching his highest-ever ranking behind the Serb and Briton Andy Murray.
"I’m excited to be heading to the Brisbane International for the first time in my career," Wawrinka said in a statement.
"I’ve heard such great things about the event and it feels like the right time to change up the start of my season.”
Wawrinka will be chasing his second Australian Open crown after beating Nadal in the 2014 Melbourne final.
Apart from Kerber, the Brisbane International, from January 1-8, will also feature French Open champion Garbine Muguruza of Spain in the women's draw.
Recommended For You
- Happy Birthday Sachin: Top 10 Knocks of the Master Blaster
- Stand Up Comedian Accuses The Kapil Sharma Show of Plagiarising His Joke
- LG G6 Launched in India for Rs 51,990: All You Need to Know
- Nawazuddin's New Video Looks Beyond Religion and Talks About Artistic Freedom
- Meet Jackie Shroff's Daughter Krishna, The New Internet Sensation