Sonam Wangchuk: Degrees From ‘Cambridges’ Cannot Solve India’s Rural Problems [VIDEO]
Sonam Wanghchuk, a year ago, launched a campaign to support an alternative university for high-altitude lifestyle called Himalayan Institute of Alternatives, Ladakh (HIAL).
“Though everything around us has changed drastically in the last 150 years almost nothing has changed in our classrooms across schools and colleges. We need to revisit the theoretical approach and bring in a more experiential way of learning where students not only become employable and skilled but also focus on applying their learnings to solve real life issues of people. It is indeed sad that although India has given to the world techniques like yoga and vipassana, today it is itself chasing after IBs, Cambridges and Harvards of the world, who unfortunately are themselves ill-equipped to tackle the challenges facing the planet,” says Sonam Wangchuk, engineer, innovator and education reformist.
Also read: India’s First Alternative Education School in Ladakh Needs Just Rs 2.4 Crore to Start
Sonam Wanghchuk, a year ago, launched a campaign to support an alternative university for high-altitude lifestyle called Himalayan Institute of Alternatives, Ladakh (HIAL). He had appealed to the nation to help raise half of the Rs 14 crore rupees initial target that will be needed to start the first school of the HIAL alternative university. “Of the 7 crore target on Milaap over Rs. 4.6 crores have been raised with contributions from over 1000 individuals in their personal capacity and some corporate donations,” said Wangchuk . He expects to reach the Rs 14 crore-mark through CSR activities.
While Wangchuk hopes to raise Rs 150 crore by 2020 for the ambitious HIAL Alternative University, the first school still waits to meet the target of Rs 7 crore to start. For those unaware, Wangchuk has been actively engaged in the educational reforms in the Ladakh region for the past 25 years.
READ THE FULL STORY HERE
- Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety: Is The Misogyny Served Worth Your Money?
- Now Showing: Masand's Verdict On Welcome To New York, Sonu Ke Tittu Ki Sweety & Three Billboards
- Udaipur Music Festival: Music, As Explained By The Artistes From Across The Globe
- Maldives Emergency : India Appears to be Losing Ground to China in the Indian Ocean | World In Flux
Recommended For You
- Live Cricket Score, New Zealand vs England 1st ODI in Hamilton: Munro Gets Root
- Sridevi's Heartwarming Moments With Daughters Jhanvi and Khushi
- Remembering Sridevi: The Actor Who Lit Up Every Song With Her Presence
- Why 'Freely Available' Geospatial Data is Crucial For Development [An Insight]
- 24th February 2010: Sachin Tendulkar Scores First-ever ODI Double Ton