Tech Firms to Meet on Legal Challenge to Donald Trump Immigration Order
Alphabet Inc's Google, Airbnb Inc and Netflix Inc are among the companies invited.
US President Donald Trump signs an executive order. (Image: Reuters)
A group of technology companies plans to meet on Tuesday to discuss filing an amicus brief in support of a lawsuit challenging U.S. President Donald Trump's order restricting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, said a spokesperson for a company organising the gathering.
The meeting is being called together by GitHub, which makes software development tools.
Alphabet Inc's Google, Airbnb Inc and Netflix Inc are among the companies invited, a separate person familiar with the situation said.
Representatives for Google and Netflix could not immediately be reached for comment. An Airbnb spokesman declined to comment.
The technology sector has become the clearest corporate opponent to the ban announced last week. Companies have been considering the best way to muster their resources, with efforts so far including statements condemning the move and financial support for organizations backing immigrants, such as the American Civil Liberties Union.
The discussions among the tech companies comes after Amazon.com Inc and Expedia Inc filed declarations in court on Monday supporting a lawsuit filed by the Washington state attorney general. Amazon and Expedia said Trump's order adversely impacts their business.
A separate lawsuit challenging Trump's order as unconstitutional was filed on Monday by the Council on American-Islamic Relations. If the tech companies decide to file an amicus brief as a group, it is unclear which case they would weigh in on.
Representatives for Kickstarter and Twilio both confirmed that they will be involved in filing an amicus brief. An Etsy spokeswoman said the company received Github's invite but could not confirm if it would move forward with the group.
- Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety: Is The Misogyny Served Worth Your Money?
- Now Showing: Masand's Verdict On Welcome To New York, Sonu Ke Tittu Ki Sweety & Three Billboards
- Udaipur Music Festival: Music, As Explained By The Artistes From Across The Globe
- Maldives Emergency : India Appears to be Losing Ground to China in the Indian Ocean | World In Flux
Recommended For You
- 24th February 2010: Sachin Tendulkar Scores First-ever ODI Double Ton
- Raveena Tandon, Gauhar Khan, Other Bollywood Celebrities Slam Papon
- Taimur and Inaaya's Viral Picture is a Treat We Deserve on Weekend!
- Kareena Looks Stunning in a Black Saree as She Attends Bengaluru International Film Festival; See Pics
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra Ups the Glamour Quotient with an Interesting Take on Fashion; See Pics