'Twitter Egg' Profile Picture Thumbnail Hatches Into a 'Human'
The reason for the change is that the "Twitter egg" is now associated with Twitter trolls, the kinds of users who create accounts simply to harass and bully others.
Representative Image. (Image: Reuters)
After being trolled on several social media platforms, Twitter has now changed its default profile photo from "Twitter Egg" it has used since 2010 for users who do not upload their own photo, to a new human silhouette.
The reason for the change is that the "Twitter egg" is now associated with Twitter trolls, the kinds of users who create accounts simply to harass and bully others. Twitter wants to eliminate that connection, ReCode reported on Friday.
"This has created an association between the default egg profile photo and negative behaviour, which is not fair to people who are still new to Twitter and have not yet personalised their profile photo," Twitter wrote in a blog post.
"It was important to explore alternate head shapes. We reviewed many variations of our figure, altering both the head and shoulders to feel more inclusive to all genders," the company wrote.
Recommended For You
- Ashes 2017: Graeme Swann Makes Fun of Gilchrist's 'Satellite' Ears
- Hardik Pandya Picks the Funniest Character in the Indian Team
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Limited Edition Launched for Rs 5.44 Lakh
- The Crown Season 2: Masaba, Swara Brighten Netflix Show's Global Premiere in London
- OnePlus 5T vs Samsung Galaxy S8 [Specs]: The 'Flagship Killer' Certainly Lands a Few Death Blows