U.S. Navy Sailors' Personal Data Hacked; More Than 130,000 Profiles Compromised
U.S. Navy sailors personal information hacked. (Image: REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz)
Hackers gained access to sensitive information, including Social Security numbers, for 134,386 current and former U.S. sailors, the U.S. Navy said on Wednesday.
It said a laptop used by a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Services employee working on a U.S. Navy contract was hacked. Hewlett Packard informed the Navy of the breach on October 27 and the affected sailors will be notified in the coming weeks, the Navy said.
"The Navy takes this incident extremely seriously - this is a matter of trust for our sailors," Chief of Naval Personnel Vice Admiral Robert Burke said in a statement.
Burke said the investigation of the breach was in its early stages.
"At this stage of the investigation, there is no evidence to suggest misuse of the information that was compromised," the Navy said.
Recommended For You
- Porter's Son Thangarasu Natarajan: From Tennis Ball Star to IPL Big Bucks
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)
- Kangana, Shahid Promote Rangoon on TKSS: 5 Laugh Out Loud Moments
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- Shahid Kapoor's Pre-Birthday Bash: Deepika, Alia, Katrina steal the show