French Open: Sania Mirza Loses; Rohan Bopanna, Leander Paes Progress
Rohan Bopanna crossed the first-round hurdle in men's doubles but Sania Mirza bowed out in the opening round of the women's doubles event in the French Open here today.
Paris: Rohan Bopanna crossed the first-round hurdle in men's doubles but Sania Mirza bowed out in the opening round of the women's doubles event in the French Open here today.
Bopanna along with his Uruguayan partner Pablo Cuevas hardly had to break a sweat as they outplayed the French duo of Mathias Bourgue and Paul-Henri Mathieu in a one-sided contest.
The ninth seeded Indo-Uruguayan pair posted a comfortable 6-1 6-1 victory over French combination in just 53 minutes.
They will next take on Treat Huey and Denis Istomin.
Later in the day, Paes and his American partner defeated Radu Albot of Moldova and Hyeon Chung of South Korea 7-6 (7- 5), 4-6, 6-2 in a match lasting one hour 55 minutes.
However, fourth seeded pair of Sania and Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan were stunned by unseeded Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia and Australia's Daria Gavrilova in a hard-fought match.
Sania and Shvedova went down 6-7 (5-7) 6-1 2-6 to Pavlyuchenkova and Gavrilova in a grueling battle that lasted 2 hours and 23 minutes.
Recommended For You
- 2018 Maruti Suzuki Swift - All You Need to Know - Price, Features, Mileage [Video]
- Aziz Ansari Sexual Assault: The Confusing Case of Consent and Privilege
- Ton-up Virat Kohli Joins Idol Sachin Tendulkar on Honours Board in Centurion
- Shaitan Haveli Review: Amazon Prime's A-Grade Tribute to B-Grade Horror
- Suffering from Cold or Flu? Avoid these 5 Foods