French Open: Sania Mirza Loses; Rohan Bopanna, Leander Paes Progress
Paris: Rohan Bopanna crossed the first-round hurdle in men's doubles but Sania Mirza bowed out in the opening round of the women's doubles event in the French Open here today.
Bopanna along with his Uruguayan partner Pablo Cuevas hardly had to break a sweat as they outplayed the French duo of Mathias Bourgue and Paul-Henri Mathieu in a one-sided contest.
The ninth seeded Indo-Uruguayan pair posted a comfortable 6-1 6-1 victory over French combination in just 53 minutes.
They will next take on Treat Huey and Denis Istomin.
Later in the day, Paes and his American partner defeated Radu Albot of Moldova and Hyeon Chung of South Korea 7-6 (7- 5), 4-6, 6-2 in a match lasting one hour 55 minutes.
However, fourth seeded pair of Sania and Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan were stunned by unseeded Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia and Australia's Daria Gavrilova in a hard-fought match.
Sania and Shvedova went down 6-7 (5-7) 6-1 2-6 to Pavlyuchenkova and Gavrilova in a grueling battle that lasted 2 hours and 23 minutes.
Recommended For You
- Apple CEO Tim Cook And PM Modi Discuss Make in India iPhone SE
- Maruti Suzuki Baleno Races Past 2,00,000 Unit Sales Within 20 Months
- Tubelight BO Collection: Salman's Film Mints Rs 66 cr on Day 3
- 12 of Bollywood's Eid Releases That Created Box Office Records
- Superstitious Yuvraj Wears Champions Trophy Jersey Against Windies