How I Met Your Mother Was Inspired By 9/11 Attacks
It was only because that HIMYM makers realised that life really is about chapters closing and things coming to an end.
The cast of TV series 'How I Met Your Mother. (Image: REUTERS/Danny Moloshok)
Los Angeles: Creators of the hit TV show How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM) noted that the show has emotional roots inspired by the September 11 attacks.
On September 11, a series of coordinated terrorist attacks took place where the planes crashed into the North and South towers, respectively, of the World Trade Center complex in New York.
Carter Bays and Craig Thomas discussed the show's roots during a New York Television Festival keynote discussion on Monday.
The two New Yorkers had been working as staff writers on the Late Show With David Letterman, but wanted to write material with characters and storylines outside of the series' signature Top 10 List format, reports hollywoodreporter.com.
How I Met Your Mother - starring Neil Patrick Harris, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, Josh Radnor and Alyson Hannigan -- had nine seasons from 2005 through 2014.
The creators say the tragedy informed the tone of the pilot.
"We have to write something bigger and with emotion, and (that) talks about twists and turns in life," said Thomas.
Bays added, "It informed HIMYM in very subtle ways. For two 29-year-olds to be writing something so nostalgic ... (Because we learned) Wow, life really is about chapters closing and things coming to an end, and things pivoting on an axis that will never pivot back."
Recommended For You
- Was Desperate to Coach India Over Becoming Administrator: Sourav Ganguly
- Lionel Messi Receives 4th Golden Shoe as Europe's Top Scorer, Equals Ronaldo
- Coco Movie Review: The Pixar Film Provides Audience With an Immersive Showcase of Mexican Culture
- Trump Hit on My Wife, She Showed His Fat Ass the Door: Billy Baldwin
- Padmavati Row: Alia Bhatt Blames Govt Inaction For Deadly Turn of Events