8 Soldiers Killed in Terror Attack in Egypt
(Image only for representational purpose)
Cairo: Eight soldiers have been killed in a car bomb attack by "armed terrorists" targeting a checkpoint in Egypt's restive North Sinai province, the army said.
"A group of armed terrorists attacked the army checkpoint yesterday using a 4x4 vehicle with high explosive materials," military spokesperson Brigadier General Mohamed Samir said in a statement.
"Eight soldiers were killed during the attack. The army exchanged fire with the terrorists killing three of them and injuring others. The armed forces are currently continuing searching area for terrorists," Samir said.
Egypt's North Sinai has witnessed many violent attacks by militants in the last few years and since the January 2011 revolution that toppled the ex-president Hosni Mubarak.
The attacks targeting police and military increased after the ouster of Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi in 2013 by military following massive protests against his rule.
Over 700 security personnel have been reported killed since then. The military has launched security campaigns in the area, arrested suspects and demolished houses that belong to terrorists, including those facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.
Recommended For You
- Meri Pyaari Bindu: Parineeti Chopra's Debut Song Will Leave You Mesmerised
- Avail Lowest Fares With AirAsia To Travel Across Asia and Australia
- Half Girlfriend First Look: Arjun Kapoor- Shraddha Kapoor are Drenched in Love
- Sachin Tendulkar Euphoric After India Beat Australia in Dharamsala
- Looking For a Solution For Everything Construction Related?