At 117, Jamaica's Violet Brown is Now Oldest in the World
The world's oldest person Violet Brown, center, poses with her care givers Elaine Mcgrowder , left, and Dolet Grant at her home in Duanvale district of Trelawny, Jamaica. (Image: AP)
Duanvale (Jamaica): Violet Brown spent much of her life cutting sugarcane in the fields around her home in western Jamaica. She attended church regularly, avoids pork and chicken, and celebrated her 117th birthday last month.
On Saturday, she is believed to have become the world's oldest living person following the death of Emma Morano of Italy, born on November 29, 1899.
Brown told The Associated Press she is surprised but grateful to have lived this long.
Brown is considered the oldest person in the world with credible birth documentation, according to Robert Young, director of the supercentenarian research and database
division at Gerontology Research Group, a network of volunteer researchers into the world's oldest people.
Recommended For You
- Andrew Tye Ruled of IPL 2017 With a Dislocated Shoulder
- Priyanka to Rajkummar: Bollywood Actors Who've Mastered Roles in Disguise
- IPL 2017: Bumrah Reveals Secret Behind Successful Super Over
- Jennifer Lopez's Latest Outfit Proves There's No One As Bold As Her
- IPL 2017: SRH vs KKR - Star of the Match- David Warner