BRICS Nations Committed to Anti-Terror Cooperation, Says Vladimir Putin
Ahead of the BRICS summit over the weekend in Goa, Russian President Vladimir Putin has said the five-nation bloc of emerging economies was "determined" to cooperate in the fight against terrorism.
File photo of Vladimir Putin. (Getty Images)
Moscow: Ahead of the BRICS summit over the weekend in Goa, Russian President Vladimir Putin has said the five-nation bloc of emerging economies was "determined" to cooperate in the fight against terrorism.
"For our five countries' leaders this meeting (in Goa) will be a good opportunity to harmonise our positions on key issues on the international agenda. We are determined to cooperate in the fight against terrorism, drug trafficking and corruption," Putin said in an exclusive interview to IANS and Sputnik news agencies.
Putin said BRICS, made up of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, would "also contribute to settling conflicts and ensuring international information security".
The two-day summit in Goa begins on Saturday. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to hold a bilateral meeting with Putin on the sidelines of the Goa summit. Modi is likely to raise the issue of Pakistan-sponsored terrorism with the Russian president.
The BRICS summit comes amid doubts cast over the continuity of the bloc that accounts for nearly 53 per cent of world population. Russia and Brazil are battling a downturn while South African economy is also sluggish. China's growth has also slowed down but India continues to grow at over 7 per cent rate.
Putin said the bloc recognised global economic concerns but expressed a hope that the challenges would be overcome.
"All of us remain concerned over continued lack of stability in the global economy. Together with our partners we will reflect on what can be done to further unite our efforts in order to address these challenges."
Putin also expressed gratitude to India "who has, invariably throughout its chairmanship in BRICS, focused on strengthening and consolidating the strategic partnership within our association".
"I am convinced that the Summit in Goa that will be held under the slogan of continuity and innovation, will be very fruitful. We also expect that the BRICS Summit in Goa will open new opportunities for economic and humanitarian cooperation."
- Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety: Is The Misogyny Served Worth Your Money?
- Now Showing: Masand's Verdict On Welcome To New York, Sonu Ke Tittu Ki Sweety & Three Billboards
- Udaipur Music Festival: Music, As Explained By The Artistes From Across The Globe
- Maldives Emergency : India Appears to be Losing Ground to China in the Indian Ocean | World In Flux
Recommended For You
- Three Billboards Review: Frances McDormand-Starrer Is A Clever, Gripping Film You Don't Want To Miss
- Just Relief and Joy, Says Eugenie Bouchard After Locker Room Case is Settled
- Taimur and Inaaya's Viral Picture is a Treat We Deserve on Weekend!
- Munch on Strawberries to Pause Time and Undo Ageing
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, Note 5 Pro Tips n Tricks: How to Get The Best Out of Your New Android Smartphones