Former Iranian President Rafsanjani Dies At 82
Iranian state media says influential former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani has died at age 82.
In this December 21, 2015 file photo, former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani waves to journalists as he registers his candidacy for the elections of the Experts Assembly, in Tehran, Iran. (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi)
Tehran, Iran: Iranian state media says influential former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani has died at age 82.
Iranian media earlier said Rafsanjani was hospitalised because of a heart condition.
Rafsanjani, who served as president from 1989 to 1997, was a leading politician who often played kingmaker in the country's turbulent politics. He supported President Hassan Rouhani.
Rafsanjani was head of the Expediency Council, a body that advises Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and in March he won a seat on the clerical body that will one day decide Khamenei's successor.
Recommended For You
- Chatara Grabs Four as Zimbabwe Stun Sri Lanka
- Bigg Boss 11: Vikas Gupta Plans To Divide His Entire Prize Money Between These Two Contestants
- Cheteshwar Pujara Sets Unwanted Record in Centurion Test
- 'We Have Jobs To Do': Twitter Rejects Milind Soman's 7-Hour Marathon Proposal
- Let's Take Padmaavat For What It Is- A Film, Not A Community Validation Stamp