IS Claims Egypt Attack; 1 Policeman Dead, 3 Injured
Damage from the explosion inside Cairo's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral is seen inside the cathedral in Cairo, Egypt REUTERS (File photo)
Cairo: A policeman was killed and three others were injured after suspected Islamic State terrorists opened fire on a security checkpoint near Saint Catharine monastery in Egypt's South Sinai, the Ministry of Interior has said.
The gunmen targeted a security checkpoint outside the monastery where they exchanged fire with police forces, a statement by the ministry said.
In retaliatory firing by police, some attackers were injured which forced them to flee, the statement added.
The injured have been transferred to Sharm El-Shiekh International Hospital for treatment, security officials said.
Recommended For You
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams - Listen To First Song Of The Movie
- New Maruti Suzuki DZire to Launch on May 16; Will No Longer Have 'Swift' in its Name
- Harbhajan Singh Becomes Third Indian To Take 200 Wickets In T20 Cricket
- Sonakshi Sinha, Armaan Malik Engage in War of Words Over Actors Taking Over Singers' Domain
- IPL 2017: This is Why Kohli Was Furious After Getting Dismissed