Mikhail Gorbachev Hails Fidel Castro for 'Strengthening' Cuba
Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev on Saturday hailed Fidel Castro, the Cuban socialist icon who has died aged 90, for "strengthening" his island nation.
Former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev looks on during a presentation of his new book ‘After Kremlin’ in Moscow on December 26, 2014. (REUTERS)
Moscow: Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev on Saturday hailed Fidel Castro, the Cuban socialist icon who has died aged 90, for "strengthening" his island nation.
"Fidel stood up and strengthened his country during the harshest American blockade, when there was colossal pressure on him and he still took his country out of this blockade to a path of independent development," Interfax news agency quoted Gorbachev as saying.
"In the past years, even when Fidel Castro was not formally in power, his role in strengthening the country was huge."
Gorbachev added that Castro would be remembered as a "prominent politician" who managed to leave a "deep mark in the history of mankind."
The Kremlin has not yet reacted to Castro's death. Ties between Moscow and Havana suffered after the collapse of the USSR as the massive flow of financial aid from the Soviet Union dried up, delivering a major economic blow to the country.
Cuban President Raul Castro, who took power after his elder brother Fidel was hospitalised in 2006, said that the revolutionary leader's remains will be cremated early on Saturday.
Recommended For You
- Watch: An Emotional Alia Bhatt Holds Back her Tears at Best Friend Kripa Mehta's Wedding
- I am Learning Everyday as Captain, Says Kohli as India Aim to Bounce Back in Johannesburg
- Prateik Babbar is Engaged to Sanya Sagar, See Pic
- Sonam Kapoor's Latest Fashion Experiment Is Winning Our Hearts; See Pics
- Golden Globes Black Outfits To Be Auctioned To Support #TimesUp Movement