Suicide Bombing in Northern Baghdad Kills 35
Women walk past a damaged building at the site of a suicide car bombing claimed by the Islamic State group on July 3, 2016 in Baghdad's central Karrada district. (Photo: Getty Images)
Baghdad: A suicide bombing targeting a funeral gathering in northern Baghdad Saturday killed at least 35 people and left another 63 wounded, Iraqi police and hospital officials said.
The attack in the Shaab neighborhood occurred at around lunchtime, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement carried by the IS-linked Aamaq news agency. The claim could not be independently verified, but it was carried by a news organization affiliated with the IS group.
The attack comes as Iraqi security forces are preparing for an operation to retake the militant-held northern city of Mosul, the country's second largest city, from the IS group.
In the past the extremists have increased insurgent attacks inside government-held territory far from the front lines after suffering territorial losses on the battlefield.
Iraq has seen several bombings in recent months, though most have had lower death tolls than Saturday's attack.
In July, a massive car bomb in central Baghdad's popular shopping district of Karradah killed about 300 people and forced the resignation of the country's interior minister.
Recommended For You
- CLOSE SHAVEUmpire Paul Reiffel Retires Hurt After Being Hit by Bhuvneshwar Kumar's Throw
- Amazing VoiceThis Kolkata Security Guard's Golden Voice Is Winning Hearts On The Internet
- Amazing videoYouTube Rewind Celebrates Videos, People And Trends That Made 2016 Memorable
- Good Old DaysAishwarya Rai's Recent Photos With Her Dance Guru Will Give You Serious Nostalgia
- Fascinating!The Circle Trailer: Emma Watson, Tom Hanks Starrer is Dark and Compelling