Trump Would be Dangerous if Elected, Says UN Rights Chief
US presidential candidate Donald Trump would be "dangerous from an international point of view" if he is elected, the UN Human Rights chief said Wednesday.
In this Feb. 9, 2016, file photo, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein speaks in Colombo, Sri Lanka. (Photo: AP)
Geneva: US presidential candidate Donald Trump would be "dangerous from an international point of view" if he is elected, the UN Human Rights chief said Wednesday.
Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein says some comments by the Republican nominee are "deeply unsettling and disturbing," particularly on torture and about "vulnerable people."
Zeid, a Jordanian prince, also told reporters he doesn't plan to tone down his recent remarks decrying dangers posed by "populists and demagogues."
Russia's ambassador to the United Nations has said Zeid shouldn't criticize foreign heads of state and government.
On the US election, Zeid said: "If Donald Trump is elected, on the basis of what he has said already and unless that changes, I think it's without any doubt that he would be dangerous from an international point of view."
"Clearly I am not keen or intent on interfering in any political campaign within any particular country, but where the comments point to a potential — depending on the results of the election — for an increase in, for instance, the use of torture, which is prohibited under the Convention against Torture, or the focus on vulnerable people in a way that suggests that they may well be deprived of their rights, their human rights, then I think it is incumbent to say so," Zeid said.
"Many of Mr. Trump's comments are in that direction are deeply unsettling and disturbing to me" and in the human rights office, Zeid said.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5T vs Samsung Galaxy S8 [Specs]: The 'Flagship Killer' Certainly Lands a Few Death Blows
- Theeran Baddie Abhimanyu Singh finds Karthi Disciplined, Hardworking and Easygoing
- Bigg Boss 11: Evicted contestant Benafsha Soonawalla Says, ‘I Played in the House With As Much Dignity As I Could’
- Royal Enfield Interceptor and Continental GT 650 Twin Debuts at Rider Mania 2017
- The Journey of Manushi Chhillar: From Changing Lives To Winning The Crown