Turkish Policeman Tries to Kill Self in Hospital, Causes Panic
An armed police officer receiving psychiatric treatment barricaded himself into a room at an Istanbul hospital and attempted to commit suicide on Wednesday causing panic, a hospital official said.
Representative image. Photo: Reuters
Istanbul: An armed police officer receiving psychiatric treatment barricaded himself into a room at an Istanbul hospital and attempted to commit suicide on Wednesday causing panic, a hospital official said.
Earlier, Turkish media reports said the man had taken doctors and other staff hostage at Istanbul's Cerrahpasa
But Zekayi Kutlubay, the hospital's chief physician, said all staff has been evacuated from the psychiatry unit and the police officer was alone. He said police negotiators are trying to persuade the man not to kill himself.
"He is alone in the room," Kutlubay told reporters outside of the hospital. "There is no hostage crisis ... God
willing, we will convince him."
Kutlubay said the officer had been receiving psychiatric treatment for the past two years and the police force had confiscated his gun.
"The gun is not his, but unfortunately he has a gun with him," the physician said.
Turkey is on edge following a spate of deadly attacks, including an armed assault at an Istanbul nightclub during a
New Year's celebration that killed 39 people.
Recommended For You
- PadMan Becomes The First Indian Movie To Achieve This Incredible Feat, Thanks To Twinkle Khanna
- 2018 Maruti Suzuki Swift Official Bookings Open for Rs 11,000
- Amazon Great Indian Sale: Top Upcoming Deals on Smartphones, Electronics, Games And More
- These Qualities will Determine If You're a Morning or Night Person
- Suffering from Cold or Flu? Avoid these 5 Foods