US Government Names Local Jails That Won't Hold Immigrants
Representative image .(Photo: Reuters)
Washington: The Trump administration is naming some names in its efforts to shame local jails that don't cooperate with immigration authorities.
For now it's putting the spotlight on Travis County, Texas, home of liberal Austin.
The administration has released a list of 206 cases of immigrants released from custody before federal agents could intervene. Roughly two-thirds were from Travis County.
The 206 figure is somewhat murky. It doesn't represent all the cases in which immigration authorities sought custody of people facing criminal charges, with major cities like New York and Los Angeles underrepresented on the list.
The cases were identified by the administration between Jan 28 and Feb 3, but most of the detention requests had been made before then, as far back as early 2014. (AP)
Recommended For You
- Azlan Shah 2017 Live Updates, India vs Britain: Moments Away From the Start
- New Chevrolet Beat to Launch in India on May 25
- OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Review: The Best Black Phone That Money Can Buy
- IPL 2017: Nothing Royal And Far From Being Challengers
- Jennifer Lopez's Latest Outfit Proves There's No One As Bold As Her