US Government Names Local Jails That Won't Hold Immigrants
The Trump administration is naming some names in its efforts to shame local jails that don't cooperate with immigration authorities.
Representative image .(Photo: Reuters)
Washington: The Trump administration is naming some names in its efforts to shame local jails that don't cooperate with immigration authorities.
For now it's putting the spotlight on Travis County, Texas, home of liberal Austin.
The administration has released a list of 206 cases of immigrants released from custody before federal agents could intervene. Roughly two-thirds were from Travis County.
The 206 figure is somewhat murky. It doesn't represent all the cases in which immigration authorities sought custody of people facing criminal charges, with major cities like New York and Los Angeles underrepresented on the list.
The cases were identified by the administration between Jan 28 and Feb 3, but most of the detention requests had been made before then, as far back as early 2014. (AP)
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli - The Records Indian Captain Broke at Wankhede
- Amitabh Bachchan Wraps KBC 9, Thanks Audience for Making It a 'Historic Event'
- 11 Habits That Make You A Smart Mommy
- How Friends Spoilt A Young Sachin's First Tryst With Chinese Food
- With No Money, No House, No Future, Parents Dead, I Did What I Felt Like Doing: Shah Rukh Khan