World At 'Dangerous Point' After US-Russia Tensions Spike Over Syrian Conflict
Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev attends the awarding ceremony at the Grand Kremlin Palace on June,12, 2016 in Moscow, Russia. (Picture Courtesy: Getty Images)
Moscow: Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev on Monday warned that the world had reached a "dangerous point" as tensions between Russia and the United States have spiked over the Syria conflict.
Relations between Moscow and Washington -- already at their lowest since the Cold War over the Ukraine conflict -- have soured further in recent days as the United States pulled the plug on Syria talks and accused Russia of hacking attacks.
The Kremlin meanwhile has suspended a series of nuclear pacts, including a symbolic cooperation deal to cut stocks of weapons-grade plutonium.
"I think the world has reached a dangerous point," Gorbachev, 85, told state news agency RIA Novosti.
"I don't want to give any concrete prescriptions but I do want to say that this needs to stop. We need to renew dialogue. Stopping it was the biggest mistake."
As the last leader of the Soviet Union, Gorbachev oversaw an easing of decades of tensions with the West that helped to end the Cold War.
He inked several landmark nuclear disarmament deals with Washington aimed at defusing the standoff between the two superpowers.
"It is necessary to return to the main priorities. These are nuclear disarmament, the fight against terrorism, the prevention of an environmental disaster," he said. "Compared to these challenges, all the rest slips into the background."
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi
- Gaya Road Rage: Patna High Court Grants Bail to Suspended JD(U) Councillor's Son
- Dalit Boy Whose Video Went Viral Says Was Thrashed Because of Good Grades