Home » Cricket Home » News » Australia's Chris Rogers out of first West Indies Test
1-MIN READ

Australia's Chris Rogers out of first West Indies Test

Australia's Chris Rogers out of first West Indies Test

Rogers, 37, is likely to be replaced by Shaun Marsh as David Warner's opening partner for the match that starts on Wednesday in Roseau.

Chris Rogers, the Australia opener, has been ruled out of the first Test against West Indies after suffering a blow to his head during training on Sunday (May 31). Cricket Australia (CA) said that Rogers displayed symptoms of a mild concussion, with headache and dizziness after being struck on the helmet by a net bowler.

Rogers, 37, is likely to be replaced by Shaun Marsh as David Warner's opening partner for the match that starts on Wednesday in Roseau.

Peter Brukner, the Australian team doctor, ruled Rogers out as per CA's policy after diagnosing the concussion. Brukner also explained the decision to the batsman, Darren Lehmann, the coach, and Michael Clarke, the captain.

"I assured Michael if it was him or anyone else we would make exactly the same decision," said Brukner. "This is a black and white rule now. If someone is concussed, they don't play."

Rogers will not be allowed to train until his symptoms have subsided, which Brukner said is expected in a few days. Brukner added that Rogers was likely to be available for the second Test, but a call on that would be taken later.

Before leaving for the West Indies, Rogers had announced his plans to retire from Tests after this year's five-match Ashes series in England in August.

Rogers made his debut in 2008, but he became a regular part of the team only after earning a recall for the 2013 Ashes. He was the highest run-scorer on either side in the ten-match back-to-back Ashes that England and Australia played over the course of 2013 and 2014, and so far in his career, he has 1535 runs at an average of 39.35 from 20 Tests.