Mumbai: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) may take action against off-spinner Ramesh Powar for speaking to the media without the board’s permission.
"The board had made it clear that no player should speak to the press without prior permission from the board. In this context action might be taken against Powar after consultation with Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) officials," BCCI joint secretary N P Pandove told Cricketnext.com today.
When asked what action would the board take, Pandove, said, "I have not read Powar’s comments so far and moreover the secretary Mr Niranjan Shah is in the West Indies right now. So only after his return on April 30, we will get a clear picture”.
Powar, who is in the Test team for India’s forthcoming tour of Bangladesh starting from May 10, was quoted as saying that he was disappointed not to be picked in the World Cup team by Hindustan Times.
"I could have made a difference, I would have done something. It was disappointing to be dropped from the team as the World Cup takes place once in four years," he said while talking to the paper.
Indian fast bowler S Sreesanth too faces such a predicament after questioning the BCCI’s cap on players’ endorsements a couple days ago.
Earlier, the board had sought and got explanations from Sachin Tendulkar and Yuvraj Singh after their outbursts in the media in connection with Greg Chappell’s issue before the Indian coach resigned from his post as the coach of the Indian team.