"I'm a bit excited, however that doesn't guarantee I'll be selected this year or for anything upcoming as yet," said Archer in an interview with ESPNCricinfo. "If it happens, it happens, but I don't want to think too far down the line. I've still got lots of cricket to play even before then so it makes no sense dwelling on that."
Archer hogged headlines after bursting onto the scene in the Big Bash League last year for Hobart Hurricanes where he set the stage alight with his accurate quick bowling and hard-hitting lower down the order. He has since made quite a name for himself in the IPL as well as for his county Sussex.
Born in Barbados, Archer moved to England in 2015 and holds a British passport. As per the old rules the 23-year-old would not have attained eligibility for international selection till 2022 but with the ECB reducing their residency period from seven years to three, Archer has a chance to make it to the World Cup squad that will be held in England & Wales in 2019.
The pacer said that though it is exciting to have a shot at England's World Cup squad he is not thinking about it just yet.
"It doesn't make any sense chasing it (the World Cup dream), as it's only been two days," he quipped. "There's still lots of time before the air changes. I'm still not fully qualified as yet, I still have to do my days. If it happens, it happens but I probably won't try to overthink it too much.
"England are doing really well in the Tests and ODIs, they're doing well in everything and I think it will be hard to squeeze my way into the team.
"They are the No.1 team in the world and even if I am in the squad and not the team I think it would be a great experience to be around all those players."
While ECB's new rule kicks in from 1 January 2019, Archer will have to complete his 210-day stint in England before being eligible for national selection which as of now stands at mid-March. But, having been retained by Hobart Hurricanes in the BBL as well as Rajasthan Royals in IPL, Archer might have to stay out of the country for a while longer which could hamper his World Cup prospects considering all teams have to submit their provisional World Cup squads by April 23, 2019.
In such circumstances, Archer hinted at giving the BBL a miss this time around.
"I'm not too sure [about skipping the Big Bash]," he said. "I haven't been to Australia as of yet. I don't know how the CEO would react. I haven't asked yet. Obviously everything just happened only two days ago, so there's still some time to do some thinking and to really see what takes priority."
First Published: December 2, 2018, 6:35 AM IST