Melbourne: Out-of-favour Australia opener Simon Katich has directly approached national selector John Inverarity to know whether he is being considered for the first Test match against India, starting on December 26.
The 36-year-old called Inverarity on Friday to enquire about suggestions that he was being considered for a shock recall to open the batting at the MCG against India.
"Simon has placed a call in to the chairman of selectors to see what's going on, but they've been playing phone tag," Katich's manager's Robert Joske was quoted as saying in Sydney Morning Herald.
According to reports, the selection panel threw up Katich's name as a possible stop-gap replacement for the out-of-form Phil Hughes for the first Test and even captain Michael Clarke pressed for his inclusion in the squad.
Katich, who is in Western Australia preparing for his first match with Big Bash League team Perth Scorchers, had earlier in June launched a scathing attack on Australian cricket selectors after he was left off their list of 25 centrally contracted players.
The left-hander accused Clarke of playing a role in removal, and said that he would never be able to wear a baggy green as long as the present skipper is at the helm.
In an interview published by Fairfax Media on Friday, Katich gave the reasons behind the outburst, especially against Clarke, which earned him a reprimand by Cricket Australia this month.
"I never thought I'd be in this situation, being spoken of as a controversial figure. I think, over my career, I've probably gone down the path of, not being robotic, but giving the stock standard answers."
"The last four or five months I've felt that I've had nothing to lose. I've been a bit more free in what I've said and happy to speak my mind, knowing the consequences are probably a little bit different...knowing I've lost what is dear to me anyway, my baggy green. I've still got to be careful...but at the same time, I think I've tried to be as open and honest as possible," he added.
Live Score, News & WC 2019 Updates