Home » Cricket Home » News » Manoj Prabhakar named Afghanistan bowling coach for World T20
1-MIN READ

Manoj Prabhakar named Afghanistan bowling coach for World T20

Prabhakar, who was a regular in the Indian team during 1990's, last coached the Delhi Ranji team in 2011-12 before he was sacked. (Getty Images)

Prabhakar, who was a regular in the Indian team during 1990's, last coached the Delhi Ranji team in 2011-12 before he was sacked. (Getty Images)

Prabhakar, who was a regular in the Indian team during 1990's, last coached the Delhi Ranji team in 2011-12 before he was sacked.

Keeping in mind next year's ICC World Twenty20 in India, the Afghanistan’s Cricket Board has roped in former India allrounder Manoj Prabhakar as the bowling coach of its national team.

Prabhakar's appointment is until the World Twenty20 scheduled to be held in India from March 11 to April 3, 2016.

Prabhakar, who was one of the leading swing bowlers in Indian team during 1990s, last coached the Delhi Ranji Trophy team in 2011-12 before he was sacked.

“I am glad I can guide the Afghan team. They have immense talent and I am sure in the years to come the Afghanistan team would emerge as a force to reckon with in all forms of the game. They have shown a healthy keenness to learn the finer points of the game,” Prabhakar told The Hindu.

Afghanistan recently shifted their home base from Sharjah to the UPCA stadium in Greater Noida in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, where they will play their matches and practice after an MoU was signed last month in this regard.

Prabhakar, who has over 250 international wickets in 39 Tests and 130 ODIS, will assist former Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq who is the chief coach of Afghanistan.

Afghanistan played as a qualifier in the 2015 World Cup and will play their fourth World Twenty20 next year.