South Africa were on the brink of defeat on the final day but were kept afloat by some dogged resistance from left-handed opening batsman Dean Elgar, who faced 228 deliveries to score 136 runs in what was a classical Test knock. But Elgar's resistance was broken by Ali, who forced the southpaw to drive outside the off stump, resulting in an outside edge that was caught at first slip by Ben Stokes.
Ali's next victim was Kagiso Rabada, who too was caught at first slip by Stokes for a golden duck. Last man Morne Morkel was the next to go as he was trapped in front of the wicket. The appeal was overturned by the field umpire, but England captain Joe Root went for the DRS and was rewarded as the ball was going on to hit the stumps.
Ali completed his hat-trick and thus became the first English spinner since Tom Goddard in 1938 to take a Hat-trick in Test cricket. Stuart Broad is the only English cricketer to have taken two Test hat-tricks.
Here is the full list of hat-trick heroes for England in Test matches,
1) Billy Bates against Australia in 1882-83
2) Johnny Briggs against Australia in 1891-92
3) George Lohmann against South Africa in 1895-96
4) Jack Hearne against Australia in 1899
5) Maurice Allom against New Zealand in 1929-30
6) Tom Goddard against South Africa in 1938-39
7) Peter Loader against West Indies in 1957
8) Dominic Cork against West Indies in 1995
9) Darren Gough against Australia in 1998-99
10) Matthew Hoggard against West Indies in 2003-04
11) Ryan Sidebottom against New Zealand in 2007-08
12) Stuart Broad against India in 2011
13) Stuart Broad against Sri Lanka in 2014
14) Moeen Ali against South Africa in 2017
Dean ElgarEngland vs South AfricaEngland vs South Africa 2017kagiso rabadaMoeen AliMoeen Ali Hat-trickmorne morkeloval teststuart broad
First Published: July 31, 2017, 7:26 PM IST