New Delhi: MS Dhoni's return to IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings looks all but certain, after the IPL Governing Council and CoA met in the capital on Wednesday and decided that the player pool available for CSK and RR for retention/RTM will be the players’ who played for them respectively in IPL 2015 and who were part of RPS and GL squads in IPL 2017. In the other major development, the Governing Council decided as per the retention policy that an IPL franchise is eligible to retain five players — three before the auction and the rest by the 'Right to Match' card during the auction.
What this will ensure is that each team will be able to create a team with it's core members still present, and can then build it further on other available players. As far as the RTM is concerned, a maximum of three capped Indian players, two overseas players and two uncapped Indian players can be retained by the team. Apart from this, the council and CoA also discussed the salary cap and other related issues.
CricketNext takes a look at the major decisions made at the meeting:
(A). Player Retention Policy
• A maximum of either 3 retention or 3 RTM at the discretion of the franchises
• If there is no retention before player auction then franchises can have up to 3 RTM
Following will apply irrespective of player retention or RTM –
• Maximum number of 3 Capped Indian players.
• Maximum number of 2 Overseas players.
• Maximum number of 2 Uncapped Indian players.
(B). Salary Cap
2018 – INR 80 Crore
2019 – INR 82 Crore
2020 – INR 85 Crore
The minimum spend will be 75 per cent of the salary cap for each season.
(C). Player Retention Price Guideline
(i) Option 1
3 players retained pre- auction Salary Cap Charged Rs. Cr
Player 1 15
Player 2 11
Player 3 7
(ii) Option 2
2 players retained pre- auction Salary Cap Charged Rs. Cr
Player 1 12.5
Player 2 8.5
(iii) Option 3
1 player retained pre- auction Salary Cap Charged Rs. Cr
• Uncapped players INR 3 crore per player.
• The deduction from salary purse in case of retention will be determined on the basis of guideline price or actual price (whichever is higher).
(D). Franchise Squad Size
A maximum of 25 players (up to 8 overseas) and a minimum of 18 players.
Live Score, News & WC 2019 Updates