CricketNext GET APP

N Srinivasan & Niranjan Shah to Reply to SC Notice Today

Cricketnext Staff | Updated: July 24, 2017, 9:47 AM IST
N Srinivasan & Niranjan Shah to Reply to SC Notice Today

Getty Images

Loading...
New Delhi: Former BCCI chief N Srinivasan and Niranjan Shah are set to submit their replies on Monday to the notice that has been issued to them by the Supreme Court for attending the BCCI Special General Meeting on June 26 despite being disqualified by the apex court. The bench — comprising of Justice Dipak Misra, Justice AM Khanwilkar and Justice DY Chandrachud — issued notices to Srinivasan and Shah on July 14, seeking their response.

"How can a person disqualified by virtue of apex court order be nominated as nominee of state cricket associations and attend the meeting of BCCI," Justice Misra had said.

The bench is also expected to read into the details of the fourth status report filed by SC-appointed Committee of Administrators. Headed by Vinod Rai, the COA submitted a scathing status report describing Srinivasan and Shah as "disqualified office bearers with vested interest", who are trying to stall implementation of Lodha reforms.

The report also praised acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary for trying to work towards implementation of reforms but accused treasurer Aniruddh Chaudhary — a Srinivasan loyalist — of being a "mute spectator". The COA also expressed its helplessness in building consensus among state units. Point seven in the report read: "During the intervening period of three months since COA filed third status report, every effort has been made by the COA to build consensus among constituent members of BCCI for adoption of new BCCI constitution. The COA held two meetings, on May 6 (a day before SGM) and June 25 (a day before SGM) in an attempt to build consensus but all these efforts were to no avail. The SGM held on June 26 was manifestly disruptive. Before the meeting a substantial consensus had been arrived at as a result of mutual deliberations between COA and various constituent members of BCCI."

Speaking to CricketNext, a BCCI official had said that the move from the SC to issue notices to Srinivasan and Shah was a welcome sign as the board needs to move forward and work towards rebuilding the tarnished image of the BCCI. The official felt that the notice could finally see disqualified members staying away from the functioning of the board and the BCCI making progress in implementing the reforms of the Lodha panel as per the direction of the SC in July 2016.

“It is a welcome move for sure. The BCCI needs to get back to working in unison and that is not possible till certain disqualified members don’t stay away from interfering in the working of the board. The BCCI is trying its best to get the ball rolling, but every time some members try to move things forward, a few members ensure that the process is stalled. Hopefully, this will see the end to this style of functioning. The 7-member committee formed to read the Lodha panel’s proposals and look at implementing them should be able to function better after this,” he had said.

Both Srinivasan and Shah are disqualified as they have attained the age of 70 years and the Lodha panel had clearly mentioned the 70-years age-cap in its recommendations.

First Published: July 24, 2017, 9:10 AM IST
Loading...

Also Watch

Live TV

Team Rankings

RankTeamPointsRating
1 India 4397 116
2 South Africa 3712 106
3 England 4722 105
4 New Zealand 2354 102
5 Australia 3663 102
FULL Ranking
Loading...
Loading...