New Delhi: Slapped with a life ban by BCCI's disciplinary committee for his involvement in spot-fixing during IPL 6 earlier this year, disgraced India and Rajasthan Royals's fast bowler S Sreesanth is likely to challenge the decision in court, The Indian Express reported on Saturday.
The BCCI disciplinary committee met here on Friday and based on the probe done by its anti-corruption unit chief Ravi Sawani banned Sreesanth and Ankeet Chavan for life, while handing a 5-year and 1-year ban to Amit Singh and Siddharth Trivedi, respectively.
The Indian Express report quoted a source close to Sreesanth, who said: "The IPL spot-fixing case is still in the courts and in such a scenario the BCCI's disciplinary panel should have waited for the final verdict before issuing any kind of sanction. The Ravi Sawani report is largely based on the version of the Delhi police, which has been questioned by the courts. Sreesanth will challenge the life ban."
However, Cricketnext learned that Sreesanth is going to wait until the court hearing on October 7 to take a decision on his further course of action.
Following BCCI's decision on Friday to ban the players, Sreesanth said: "A lot has been said and done in my name but all I want is to start playing for India again. Everyone appeared before the committee and I was the last to appear. I have faith in the judiciary and in the BCCI and I am confident that I will come out clean.
"I am hoping for the best. All I can say that I have never cheated and I hope the BCCI gives me an opportunity to play again. I believe that the BCCI will support me as even the courts have declared that there is no evidence against me."
Live Score, News & WC 2019 Updates