Dunedin: South Africa captain Faf du Plessis said Sunday he was surprised no one had been charged by the ICC after the ugly spat which blighted the Australia-India Test series.
"I was, yes. Purely from the reason of what I went through in Australia for something I feel was a lot smaller, so (am) surprised with it," he said in Dunedin following the washed-out end to the first Test against New Zealand.
ICC (International Cricket Council) chief executive David Richardson had described it as "an obvious breach" of the ball-tampering law.
However, the ICC decided not to take action against the warring India and Australia captains -- Virat Kohli and Steve Smith -- following cheating accusations during the second Test in Bangalore last week.
Du Plessis has always denied ball tampering and said the reaction from the ICC was different to the way he was treated.
"Definitely it was different. I'm surprised by the way it happened," he said.
Du Plessis said it was very unlikely there would be a similar dust-up between the South African and New Zealand players.
"When you play teams like India and Australia obviously that can happen and it's easy for something like that to blow up," he said.
"For me, it's just been good to be on the other side of it this time and see how things unfold."