A day of confusion, claim and counter-claim concluded with the Board Of Control For Cricket In India (BCCI) saying that despite all its efforts, the India vs West Indies ODI series has to be curtailed because of the ongoing issue between WICB and its players.
The BCCI ended the confusion over the status of West Indies' tour by categorically stating that the series has been called off, despite the WICB claiming that it has not yet done so.
The WICB and the West Indies Players Association signed a new agreement last month covering pay and conditions but it was rejected by the senior players, including one-day captain Dwayne Bravo who claimed they were kept in the dark and demanded WIPA chief Wavell Hinds's resignation.
The players subsequently issued a strike threat but eventually took to the field and were playing the fourth ODI at Dharamsala when an angry BCCI confirmed the abrupt end to the tour, which also included a fifth one-dayer, a Twenty20 International and three test matches.
Earlier in the day, BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said that the West Indies have abruptly called off their ongoing India tour. The BCCI also expressed shock and disappointment at the decision to cut short the ongoing tour.
"The BCCI is shocked and extremely disappointed at the decision taken by the WICB. The WICB's inability to resolve internal issues with its players and allowing the same to affect an ongoing bilateral series does not reflect well on any of those involved," Patel said in the release.
Moments after that the BCCI announced that the Sri Lanka Cricket has accepted its invitation to play five ODIs in India in November.
Sri Lanka Cricket has confirmed a five-match ODI series between India and Sri Lanka, to be played from November 1st, 2014, said a joint press release from BCCI and SLC.
The drama refused to die down there as the West Indies Cricket Board issued a statement saying they have not called off the tour.
"The West Indies Cricket Board advises, that, contrary to media reports, it has taken no decision to discontinue the ongoing tour to India. The WICB will make a further statement following the conclusion of the fourth one-day international which is in progress."
Reacting to the WICB's statement, the BCCI secretary Patel issued a new release clarifying the curtailment of the tour with a timeline.
Here's the timeline of the WICB's withdrawal:
7 October 2014:
Mr. Dave Cameron sent a copy of a letter addressed to Mr. Wavell Hinds, which stated that the failure of the West Indies players to take the field will leave the WICB with -
'no alternative but to cancel the match and notify the BCCI accordingly and recall the team.'
8 October 2014:
Around 3:00 am India time, Mr. Dave Cameron sent a mail to the BCCI stating he is withdrawing the team from the tour. Mr. Sanjay Patel rushed to Kochi and spoke to the WI players and managed to get on with the match.
12 October 2014:
Mr. Patel met Mr. Cameron in Dubai and asked him for a confirmation that the rest of the tour will go on. Mr. Cameron assured that by close of business on Wednesday 15 October, he will confirm one way or the other. .
AM of 16 October 2014:
There was no response from Mr. Cameron.
PM of 16 October 2014:
Mr. Patel sent a reminder mail to Mr. Cameron, seeking an urgent response.
17 October 2014 - 3:00 am:
Mr. Cameron sent a response stating that -
"WICB are not able to provide any assurances or guarantees"
and that WICB will communicate their position by end of the day on 17 October.
17 October 2014 - 10:00 am
Mr. Richard Pybus of the WICB sent a mail to the BCCI stating -
'WICB's position is that if the players refuse to play then the players must return home and the rest of the ODI and Test tour is called off. This has been discussed with the WICB President and CEO and they are fully aware of developments here.'
17 October - 2:00 pm
Mr. Richie Richardson sent a mail to the BCCI stating the following:
'Despite agreeing to play the 4th ODI in Dharamshala, regrettably, the current West Indies players have decided that they will not participate any further in this tour and wish to return home after this match. In light of this, I suggest that the entire squad travel to Delhi tomorrow and be booked into a hotel there, until international return flights have been booked. On behalf of the entire squad and WICB, I apologise for the inconvenience caused.'
This makes it clear that all along, the WICB was withdrawing its team if a resolution was not reached in the issue with their players.