After joining an elite group of players to have hit six sixes in an innings, Hazratullah Zazai has called it a “surreal moment” to have achieved the feat in front of his idol Chris Gayle. The Windies star was playing for the Balakh Legends who were on the receiving end of the assault from 20-year old Zazai, who was playing for Kabul Zwanan. Although his team lost, Zazai, who made a 12-ball fifty in the game was naturally ecstatic after his heroics.
"It was a surreal moment for me to perform in front of my idol [Gayle]," Zazai said after the match. "I was just trying to play my natural game and did not in any way think of outshining anyone.
"It is a proud moment for me. It is a very enjoyable moment for me that my name is now linked to so many big names of the game, who are really legends of the game. I am thankful to Almighty Allah for helping me score the 12-ball fifty."
This match today is all about making new records. The flamboyant batsman Hazratullah Zazai has smacked 6 sixes in an over. Got his fifty in just 12 balls. #APLT20 @ACBofficials #BalkhVsKabul pic.twitter.com/KN1s5MJY5y— Afghanistan Premier League T20 (@APLT20official) October 14, 2018
Zazai’s moment came in the fourth over of the game. With the side defending a tall score of 244, Abdullah Mazari, a left-arm orthodox bowler, making his first appearance in the tournament would have hoped to start well but the debutant was in for a shock. The over cost him 37 runs including a wide. Zazai brought up his fifty in just 12 balls, the joint-fastest in the history of the T20 cricket. He was eventually dismissed for a 17-ball 62.
The following is the list of players who have scored six sixes in an over in any format of the game:
• Sir Garfield Sobers for Nottinghamshire in a first-class fixture against Glamorgan.
• Ravi Shastri for Bombay (now Mumbai) against Baroda in a Ranji Trophy game.
• Herschelle Gibbs for South Africa against Netherlands in an ODI.
• Yuvraj Singh for India against England in a T20I at Durban.
• Alex Hales for Nottinghamshire in the T20 Blast against Warwickshire.
• Ravindra Jadeja for Jamnagar District against Amrelli in a Saurashtra Cricket Association tournament.
• Misbah-ul-Haq for Hong Kong Island United against Hung Hom Jaguars in Hong Kong T20 Blitz.
Zazai has been is fine form having already scored a ton earlier against Nangarhar Leopards. He is considered one of the bright prospects which has been around for a while and will be eyeing a spot in the national side for Afghanistan and with such stellar performances, he won’t be too far either.