India vs New Zealand: Seifert Not Losing Sleep Over World Cup Chances

Get the app

India vs New Zealand: Seifert Not Losing Sleep Over World Cup Chances

| February 6, 2019, 9:37 PM IST

He knocked the daylight out of Indian bowlers in the first T20I with an explosive half-century but opener Tim Seifert says he isn't losing his sleep over his World Cup chances.

The wicket-keeper batsman blasted a 43-ball 84 to lay the foundation of New Zealand's 219-6 against India at the Westpac Stadium.

His explosive innings gave ample display of his talent and for New Zealand another option when it comes to taking a specialist back-up keeper at the World Cup.

"I just go out, do what I do, and hey, if that gets me over the line, brilliant, you know, but still being young, you know, (I've) still got time on my side," the 24-year-old said in his post-match press conference.

"Don't get me wrong, I want to be at this World Cup, but if I get there, fantastic, it's a dream come true, but if it's not then there are things to work on and get to the next one."

A self-confessed fan of Brendon McCullum, Seifert said he had watched and followed the former skipper while growing up.

"Yeah, obviously. I'd be lying if I said Baz (McCullum) wasn't one of my heroes growing up," he said.

"Obviously you try to be yourself out there, but I definitely have looked at Baz throughout my childhood."

Seifert scored six sixes and seven fours in his audacious knock which included a switch-hit boundary off Krunal Pandya's left-arm spin.

"I kind of just looked at the field and, you know, it's all in the moment. I don't really practice it or anything, it's just kind of in the spirit of it, but I just thought of his angle, and obviously got him slog-sweeping a couple of times, so I thought he maybe might slow it up. Yeah, it's kind of a little punt you take, but it's T20 cricket for you," he said.

Top Videos