Covid cases have largely been on a rise in several parts of the country including the national capital. On Thursday, around over 3000 fresh cases have been reported in the country.
Delhi recorded the highest single-day tally since September last year, with 300 cases on Wednesday. Meanwhile, the positivity rate climbed to 13.89 per cent, according to data shared by the city health department.
The NCR region — primarily Noida and Ghaziabad — have ramped up testing owing to a rise in the number of cases. Maharashtra on the other hand, saw a two-fold rise in the Covid tally on Wednesday, as it recorded 450 fresh cases on Wednesday.
Here are top Covid-related updates:
- India has reported a total of 3,016 new cases in the last 24 hours with the daily positivity rate standing at 2.73%. This is the highest daily spike in cases in over five months.
- The fresh jump in daily Covid cases has taken India’s active caseload to 13,509.
- The weekly positivity rate, however, is at 1.71%. So far, 92.14 crore tests have been conducted so far, among them 1,10,522 tests were done in the last 24 hours.
- India has also reported 1,396 recoveries in the last 24 hours.
- Delhi government has called an emergency meeting in the wake of rising Covid cases in the city. Delhi health minister Saurabh Bharadwaj will be chairing the meeting with the health department along with directors of several hospitals.
In view of the rising COVID cases in Delhi, Health Minister Saurabh Bhardwaj will hold a meeting with the officers and specialist doctors associated with the health department today.(File pic) pic.twitter.com/XJTLggfmTC
— ANI (@ANI) March 30, 2023
- In Maharashtra, the XBB 1.16 variant of Covid 19 is said to be dominant, which is leading to an exponential rise in cases. The variant was isolated in early March and experts say it is responsible for more than 60 per cent of the cases. However, the state’s coronavirus death toll remained unchanged at 1,48,423 with no fresh addition to the tally in the last 24 hours.
- Overall, India recorded a single-day rise of 2,151 new coronavirus cases, the highest in five months, according to the Union health ministry. A total of 2,208 cases were recorded on October 28 last year. The active cases rose to 11,903 on Wednesday.
- Delhi recorded the highest single day tally since September last year, with 300 cases on Wednesday, with two fatalities. Delhi has witnessed an increase in the number of fresh Covid cases over the last few days amid a sharp rise in the figure of H3N2 influenza cases in the country.
- Amid a surge in COVID-19 cases, a night curfew has been imposed in Gautam Buddh Nagar and Ghaziabad districts of Uttar Pradesh, both adjoining Delhi, according to official orders issued last week.
- On an average, 54 of the 7,986 beds are occupied in the dedicated Covid 19 hospitals in Delhi, while 452 patients are in home isolation, the health department said.
- Medical experts have recommended getting innoculated with the booster dose of Covid vaccine amid a rise in cases. However, they maintain that there is no need to panic and people should follow Covid-appropriate behaviour.
- Amid a gradual increase in the number of Covid cases in Delhi, experts say the new XBB.1.16 variant of the virus could be driving the surge. The rise could be a result of more people getting themselves tested for Covid as a precaution when they actually get infected with the influenza virus and develop similar symptoms.
Read all the Latest India News here