Kia To Set-Up First Factory In India
Kia Motors Corp will announce a plan for its first factory in India "soon"
Kia Motors Corp will announce a plan for its first factory in India "soon" (Photo: Reuters)
South Korean carmaker Kia Motors Corp will announce a plan for its first factory in India "soon", vice chairman Lee Hyong-keun told reporters on Wednesday.
The comment, made on the sidelines of the Shanghai auto show, came after Kia and affiliate Hyundai Motor Co suffered a March sales slump in China, their biggest market, attributed to a political standoff and rising competition from local brands.
Kia said in a regulatory filing on Wednesday that the investment size for its India plant has not been decided.
As reported by Economic Times on Monday, the envisioned factory involves two phases with combined investment of $1.6 billion, in one of the biggest foreign direct investment projects in India.
Reuters reported in February that Kia was close to finalising Andhra Pradesh as the site for its first Indian factory, with production scheduled to start in 2019.
Recommended For You
- Gionee S11 Lite vs Asus Zenfone Max Pro (M1) vs Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro: The Best Budget Phone Battle
- Talvar 2: Vishal Bhardwaj To Make Film On Ryan International Student's Murder; Parents Unaware
- Suzuki GSX-S750 First Ride Track Review: Keeping the K5 Engine Rumbling, in Style
- Sonam Shuts Down Sexism, Asks 'Shahid Ki Shaadi Ho Gayi, Kisine Unse Pucha If He's Going to Work or Not?'
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S First Look: Signature Redefined