New McLaren F1 Car Name to Break With The Past
McLaren said the new Honda-powered car, which would have been the MP4-32, would now be designated the MCL32.
McLaren Automotive Executive Chairman Ron Dennis addresses the media at the official unveiling of the new MP4-12C road car at the McLaren Technology centre (Image: Reuters)
McLaren's 2017 Formula One car will be a break with the past, and the era of now-departed boss Ron Dennis, the team said on Friday.
"2017 is all about change, and our car name is changing too," McLaren said on Twitter, announcing the car would no longer have the MP4 prefix that has been carried by every McLaren since 1981.
The prefix alluded to Project Four, a team founded by Dennis in 1976 that merged with McLaren in 1980.
Dennis was forced out as team boss by McLaren shareholders in November, with American Zak Brown coming in as executive director of the former world champions.
McLaren said the new Honda-powered car, which would have been the MP4-32, would now be designated the MCL32. The car is due to be launched at the team's Woking headquarters on Feb. 24.
Formula One is undergoing major change this year, with Liberty Media taking over as the commercial rights holder and American Chase Carey replacing Bernie Ecclestone as chief executive.
On the track, the cars will have bigger tyres and revamped aerodynamics aimed at making them faster, more aggressive looking and harder to handle.
Recommended For You
- 'Where Art Thou?' The World's Loneliest Frog, 'Romeo,' Just Found His Juliet
- Here's What Happens When You Try To Download 'Uri: The Surgical Strike' Illegally Off The Internet
- Propaganda with Films will not Affect the Outcome of Elections: Prakash Jha on Uri, Accidental PM
- Saare Jahaan Se Achcha: Has Shah Rukh Khan Quit Rakesh Sharma Biopic? Writer Clarifies
- Part-Time Working Mothers More Likely to Work Longer Without Pay
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s