Singapore Planning to Deploy Self-Driving Buses on Roads From 2022
Autonomous scheduled bus services will complement human-driven public buses, and will initially travel on less crowded roads.
People watch the first German autonomous public transport bus which drives during a presentation in a park in Bad Birnbach. Image used for representation purpose only (Image: AFP Relaxnews)
Singapore is hoping to deploy autonomous buses on public roads in three different districts of the city-state from 2022 to provide better connectivity, the country's Ministry of Transport said in a statement on Wednesday.
Countries around the world are encouraging the development of self-driving technologies. High-density Singapore, which has manpower shortages in many sectors, is at the forefront of such efforts and is hoping to prompt its residents to use more shared vehicles and public transport.
There are at least 10 companies testing their autonomous technology on the island.
Autonomous scheduled bus services will complement human-driven public buses, and will initially travel on less crowded roads, according to the statement.
Autonomous on-demand shuttles will allow commuters to hail the services via their mobile phones.
The government said it was seeking inputs from the industry and research institutions on the key requirements for the successful pilot launch of these autonomous vehicles.
Also Watch: 2017 Volkswagen Passat | First Drive Review | Cars18
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Ali Fazal's Reply to Fan's Request to Ask Girlfriend Richa Chaddha to Unblock Him Will Leave You in Splits
- Rishi Kapoor's Throwback Picture Sharing Coca-Cola with His Siblings is Absolutely Adorable
- Bigg Boss 13: Devoleena Calls Sidharth 'Kaamchor' and 'Magarmach', Twitterati Divide in Support
- IQAir Health Pro 250 Review: Can You Really Put a Price on Clean Air at Home?
- Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch Launched With a New Keyboard, Price Starts at Rs 1,99,900