Tesla Gigafactory Starts Mass Production of Lithium-Ion Batteries
The cylindrical "2170 cells", which will be used to power Tesla's energy storage products and the new Model 3 sedan, have been jointly designed by Tesla and Panasonic.
Tesla Logo. (Photo: Reuters)
Electric car maker Tesla Motors Inc has started mass production of lithium-ion battery cells at its gigafactory in Nevada along with Japan's Panasonic Corp, the company said.
The cylindrical "2170 cells", which will be used to power Tesla's energy storage products and the new Model 3 sedan, have been jointly designed by Tesla and Panasonic, its longstanding battery partner.
The gigafactory will initially produce battery cells for the company's Powerwall 2 and Powerpack 2 energy products, Tesla said. The production of cells for Tesla's first mass-market car, the Model 3, is expected to begin in the second quarter. The name gigafactory comes from the plant's planned annual battery production capacity of 35 gigawatt-hours, which Tesla said it would achieve by 2018.
"Giga" is a unit of measurement that represents "billions".
The factory is expected to drive down the cost of battery packs by more than 30 percent, the company has said. At peak production, the gigafactory is expected to employ 6,500 workers and create between 20,000 and 30,000 additional jobs in the surrounding regions, Tesla said.
Catch the Biggest Newsmakers and the Biggest Newsbreaks on CNN-News18, your favourite English TV news channel. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 Paise per Month. Contact your cable /DTH operator Now!
*Rental / capacity fee of Rs.130/- as charged by cable / DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Indian Prodigy Plays Piano at Lightning Speed, Amazes Everyone on 'The World's Best' Show
- Real-Life Rare Black Panther Found Near 'Wakanda' May Not Be The First Sighting In 100 Years
- Dirty John Review: Connie Britton, Eric Bana Power this Netflix True Crime Saga
- Tamil Nadu Woman Becomes First Indian To Get 'No Caste, No Religion' Certificate After 9-Year-Long Battle
- Markande Revels in 'Completely Unexpected' India Call-up
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s